Crawlspace sealing/insulation ... again.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YouDidWHAT

Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked a thousand times but here goes 1001. Is there any reason not to insulate the crawlspace floor along with sealing the crawlspace and insulating the walls? We are removing all the subfloor, adding load support, adding a vapor barrier over the dirt and thought this would be a good time to insulate the floor along with the crawlspace. I see it is recommended to do one or the other but I am wondering why not both. I would also have a small amount of heat ducted into the space.

I want to use faced insulation under the floor with the barrier towards the living space and barrier towards the crawlspace on the walls.

Thanks for your input,
Chuck

Welcome Chuck:
Using insulation in both places would just hold that much more heat from transfering. If you can afford both, go for it. If you are in Northern Ohio you will need both.
I question the wisdom of using a heat duct under the floor; its just a waste.
Glenn

My only reason for ducting a little heat was to keep the pipes from freezing. I guess in theory they should not freeze due to ground heat but I would rather be safe than sorry. If I can get enough reassurance that the pipes would be safe I would not add heat to the crawlspace.

I am in northern Ohio. Go to Lake Erie and backup one step. ;)

Thanks!

Back