Slugs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4883

Reaction score
While sprinkling salt on a slug is somewhat amusing, with what do I treat my lawn to get rid of them?

Unless of course there is some benefit to them that I'm not aware of.

Are they everywhere or in one spot? If there in one spot most poison's work great.

I notice them mostly around the edging and sidewalks.
The wife get grossed out by them and when I sprinkle them w/salt they turn into a puddle of slim that doesn't wash off easily. If I sprinkle them while in the lawn, the salt kills the grass.
I do have some liquid insect killer that you have to mix w/water and apply w/a garden hose but, it doesn't indicate that it will work for slugs. It does indicate that it works for grubs but, I found that it doesn't.

Think you die an early death with booze in a pan. My wife threw away the container but it was yellow and green _____ dust. They still come back but its in the spring, and there easy to get rid of. And don't use salt on the drive. I tried it and then had to scrub them off after the sun dried them.

I use beer in a pan, when I need. Slugs are bad for some flowers and such. Ichhy things. The beer acts like bait, they fall in... drown. Personally I hate beer :D so using it for slugs doesn't faz me a bit. Oh, and I don't have a dog either....

<wink>

Beer in a cup worked for us as well.

Basically just dug a hole deep enough for the cup to sit, filled it about half way with beer and threw out the nastiness the next morning.

Dig a hole in your garden - approximately 6 inches deep. Then place a full cup of beer in the hole. Every night you should clean the hole as it will be full of slugs and you should also refill the beer when it's empty. Soon you will see that you are rid of our slugs

Dig a hole in your garden - approximately 6 inches deep. Then place a full cup of beer in the hole. Every night you should clean the hole as it will be full of slugs and you should also refill the beer when it's empty. Soon you will see that you are rid of our slugs

Clever! You get him to dig the hole, and it gets rid of YOUR slugs! :D

Diatomaceous earth from Lowe's or Home Depot. They also have these Pellets (sorry can't remember the brand name) that will keep the slugs out of your garden. Simply go to your Pesticide section of one of these stores or ask the clerk. I had slugs and and earwigs that were wreaking havoc on my zinnia and marigold. I'd salt them one night and kill a hundred. The next night it seemed like there were two hundred, so I used the beer and eggshell method. Killed some of them, but didn't solve the problem. Diatomaceous Earth and those Pellets did. I will try to find the name of those pellets (I had a clerk at Lowe's direct me to them). Once I put that stuff down, the slugs and earwigs were gone and the garden thrived. The downfall is that this stuff is poison. Use cautiously around areas that may be frequented by pets.

See that's my issue with using poison. I have a ten lbs rat terrier that loves to be every where she isn't. I think poison would be more successful if you have the option.

Yeah, that is a problem. Don't use it if you are going to have pets poking around the area. The thing is that while the beer method definitely works for killing slugs, I had so many of them it seemed like they all called their friends. "Hey, Kegger in Matt's garden." LOL Every day there were a pile of hung over slugs in the saucer of beer. It never seemed to actually reduce the occurrence of them and the damage to my plants.

Thanks capman, using beer was killing me more than the slugs.

There are pellets available called "Escar-Go" which are basically iron pellets wrapped in slug bait. A high concentration of iron is fatal to slugs, but doesn't harm the soil or most other animals.

Also, slugs seem to be repelled by caffinated products. Adding coffee grounds to the soil in your garden should discourage the slugs from hanging around and will also add nutrients to the soil.

Third tip, slugs are allergic to copper. This one, as I understand it, is as much "fun" as salt (which I tend not to use, because I consider it inhumane). I'm told they even "spark", but I'm not sure if that's figurative or literal.

Speaking of salt, it's not a good idea to use it in the garden, because it's not too good for the plants and the effect tends to linger long after the salt itself has been "washed away".

Back