securing pt 2x4's to a brick wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yjyankee

Reaction score
Good morning-

I'm planning on building a vent hood above my outdoor grill. The wall behind the grill is brick. I'm assuming I use pressure treated 2x4's for the framing. I have cypress for the outer shell of the hood.

As for securing it to the brick wall, would I use tapcon screws, or some sort of anchor screw? I was also thinking of supporting the weight of the hood by connecting it to the ceiling above w/ more 2x6's inside the attic.

Thanks in advance.

I can post pictures if needed.

If you want any suggestions, you will have to show the situation (PHOTOS) instead of giving a description of the many things you see and could be done.

Dick

OK, here's an old picture. The hood will be about 32" above the grill, and just a simple box type frame.
IMG_3279_zps09ed8f39.jpg
[/URL]

Your plan will work fine with anchor bolts, they are rated for weight so if find that and use enough to carry the weight of the hood
I would sooner see it built out of metal, you are going 32" but there is always a chance of fire.
How will you be venting the hood?

As luck would have it, I ran into the guy that did my cabinets inside the house. I never even thought of this guy for this project. He's going to give me an estimate. Initially, I asked for his opinion. He said Tapcons in the brick would work fine, and also suggested securing it through the ceiling as well. I was glad I was at least on the right track! Now to go find a hammer drill.

Oh, the bottom, or inside of the hood will have a stainless liner around it. Also, I'll be venting this straight up, through the roof.

Back