Security Componets

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Jay

Reaction score
I am trying to setup a security system in and around a barn, would like to use infrared beam (not motion detector) due to open areas and animals but can not come up with anything. Was thinking along the line of something like the safety sensors for a garage door but I would have to build a decoder to use them and not sure of the range as one path would be about 60ft.
Any one have any ideas about where I could find something? Would really like to greet the next sticky fingered person with the 12ga and let him explain to the judge why he thought he had a right to be on my property and why he thought he had a right to what I have worked hard for.

They do sell driveway alarms which alert folks to incomming guests. This would be my choice, many high end homes have them with long driveways.
I would install one in the most logical path a perpetrator would take into your compound. good luck.
But then again, I have a dog ...who can run faster than a full sized mutt??:D

They do sell driveway alarms which alert folks to incomming guests. This would be my choice, many high end homes have them with long driveways.
I would install one in the most logical path a perpetrator would take into your compound. good luck.
But then again, I have a dog ...who can run faster than a full sized mutt??:D

I do have a driveway alarm where I hang my hat but I get false reports from it some times and since the area I am trying to protect is 4 miles away I want to keep the chances of false reports as low as possable.

I would consider using wireless motion cameras. One, you can keep a constant eye on the area remotely so you know if it's a false alarm or not. Two, you can set them to only record motion and have them set off an audio alert. This isn't the cheapest solution, but if you add them in you'll find it easier to keep a watch over your property, especially if it's 4 miles away.

I saw a system called MURS Alert sold at Cabellas. It is a wildlife/intruder motion system with a range of 80 feet. There is a trasmitter that alerts you over a 2 watt radio signal to a seperate handheld radio with voice alert when it is tripped. 2 watts is plenty to carry that distance.

I saw a system called MURS Alert sold at Cabellas. It is a wildlife/intruder motion system with a range of 80 feet. There is a trasmitter that alerts you over a 2 watt radio signal to a seperate handheld radio with voice alert when it is tripped. 2 watts is plenty to carry that distance.

Thanks I will check that out.

Back