What would you do?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mopar_Ray

Reaction score
Installing a ceiling fan in a bedroom. Right now the wires to the switch i plan on using to control the fan are switching one side of 4 outlets in the room. Is it normal to have so many outlets switched? Thinking of just rewiring all the outlets always on, and using the switch to control the fan only. The ceiling fan will have a light kit, so why switch the outlets? This would make the wiring a lot easier.

Normally, switched outlets allow you to turn on bedside lamps as you enter the room. If you feel this is unnecessary, yes, you could make them constantly hot.

I hope you mean your wiring an exhost fan not a ceiling fan in a bathroom.
Why would you do that? Unless you bought one that's made for outdoor use it's going to corrode and the fan blades may delaminate. It will blow down causing the ceiling exost fan from working, will blow air on you when coming out of the shower making you feel cold, Plus stay coated with dust from all the moist air causing the dust to stick.
I've been in the business for over 30 years and have been in thousands of homes and have never once seen a ceiling fan in a bathroom.

Joe, it's being installed in the bedroom, not the bathroom.

fan.jpg

Mopar. You have it right just do it.

P.S. I have seen lots of houses with ceiling fans in bathrooms

The reason for switched receptacles is that code requires a switch to turn on a light as you enter the room. If you have no ceiling fixture then a switched receptacle can be used to turn on a lamp. If you install a ceiling fixture then the switched receptacles are no longer required.

Wow. Never heard of 4 switched outlets in a room. Not sure what they were thinking when they did that. Personally, I'd do away with the switched outlets and make them constant hot if I were installing a light fixture or a ceiling fan with light kit.

I do a lot of work in high end houses and most have several outlets with "switched" sides. Just put a small "jumper wire" between the 2 brass screws, and cut and cap (wire nut) the colored (usually red) wire. I would probably run a new 14/3 w/ground cable to the fan so I could control both fan and light individually. Sometimes you want the fan and no light, and sometimes light w/o fan....

Latest posts

Back