Azek Decks vs Wooden Decks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samsfloor

Reaction score
I am planning to build a deck in my home garden, which type of deck is best in terms of maintenance and repairing?

Depends on the wood. Composite or Azek will be lower maintenance than a pressure treated deck. Redwood or IPE would be lower maintenance than PT.

A composite deck is the way to go. just be aware it will cost about 3 times as much as wooden decking.
It will pay for it's self over time in materials and labor to refinish.

Composite deck are more resistant to elements than traditional woods. It can retain the look for a couple of years without annual sealing.

I have both Ipe and Tigerwood on my deck. I need to clean and stain it annually. (Although the Ipe does hold up better.)

Be careful of date codes on compositie decking. Make CERTAIN you get the same date code lot for ALL of your pieces or reject the order. Here's an example after 1 winter of what happens with the high end trex if you don't get the same date code.

On the bright side Trex did cut a check to replace the boards, however I had to help the guy disassemble his deck and reassemble it to replace the boards as they were side screwed in.

CIMG2341.jpg

Last edited:
Be careful of date codes on compositie decking. Make CERTAIN you get the same date code lot for ALL of your pieces or reject the order. Here's an example after 1 winter of what happens with the high end trex if you don't get the same date code.

On the bright side Trex did cut a check to replace the boards, however I had to help the guy disassemble his deck and reassemble it to replace the boards as they were side screwed in.
I like that finish!

Latest posts

Back