Kitchen facucet aerator keeps clogging every 2 weeks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerator-sink-user

Reaction score
I wanted to ask why just my kitchen sink faucet aerator keeps having low water flow problems.

I take out the aerator and leave it overnight in vinegar and it works great for 2 weeks or so.

Then after that, the water flow gets slower and slower and I have to clean it again.

I put a brand new aerator in and it lasted two weeks or so.

When I take the aerator apart to put it in vinegar, I noticed on the rubber gasket (inside part of the aerator) I feel a grit in my fingers, like maybe salt.

The grit is not colored white, green or blue. Just seems to be colorless. But I can feel it in my fingers.

Any ideas why just my kitchen sink and not bathroom sinks would have the aerator clog so often?

Thanks!

Are you on city water? Do you have a water softener? Have you disturbed the water supply recently? How old is the water service? Is it copper?

Oh yeah, :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Quite a few people that had water softeners used to run the line to the kitchen sink coming off before the softener. I don’t know if they didn’t like the taste of soft water or if they felt the unit was taking out minerals they needed. You may have such a setup and that would explain why just one place is seeing the hard water deposits.

Yes on city water with a water softener. Don't think the water supply has been disturbed. Probably copper.

Quite a few people that had water softeners used to run the line to the kitchen sink coming off before the softener. I don’t know if they didn’t like the taste of soft water or if they felt the unit was taking out minerals they needed. You may have such a setup and that would explain why just one place is seeing the hard water deposits.

That makes sense - I bet that is it.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back