Jasco green wood preservative

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comolohalgo340

Reaction score
Hello:)! My shower walls were remove and what was found was alot of damaged wood. My husband wants to use wood coated with Jasco Green Termin 8 wood preservative. Just want to know, is this a good idea?? This stuff really has a strong ordor :eek:. Husband says once walls get closed up, the smell will go away.. :help:

There are treatments that can be used inside but anything containing CCA should not be used inside.

The active ingredient of Jasco Green Termin 8 is not CCA, and I don't think it contains any arsenic. Instead, its active ingredient (25%) is copper napthanate, which gives it the deep green color. It is the strongest wood preservative available that can be applied by anyone without requiring a special license to do so.

A few years ago, I was Project Manager on a timber bridge rehabilitation contract where we applied close to 500 gallons of a similar copper napthanate product (Perm-e-8), first spraying and then back-rolling it after properly diluting it with stoddard solvent. The strong smell and color tend to dissipate after several weeks of weather exposure, and were completely gone in a month or so, but I'm not sure that will happen where the members are sealed inside of a home's walls. I vaguely recall the 50-gallon drums of the stuff having been marked "For Exterior Use Only." An option might be to loosely stack the treated members in the yard for a few weeks, letting them do their drying/deodorizing before using them in the bathroom.

If it's construted correctly this time there never should be a moisture issue again.
Boracare, and Timbor are two other products that would work.
The other product you suggest would be more you insect damage not moisture damage.

i am searching for where to buy
Jasco green wood preservative
  • OR A SIMILAR PRODUCT.

Back