Drywall repair questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfw

Reaction score
This is sortof a sequel to my "Drill up inside wall" question from a few days back. I got the cable pulled, but it was a difficult job due to the owner-unfriendly way the attic was constructed. We had to make three 4" diameter hole-saw holes in the ceiling to fish the cables where they had to go. (We also made use of an existing hole for recessed lighting). The holes are all in closets (yay!) and the circles cut out are in decent shape (two are good, one's a little banged up). The electrician suggested bridging the hole with a stick of wood, (say 1" by 8") then slather the edges of the circle with mud and use a sheetrock screw or two to fasten the circle to the bridging piece of wood. Once the mud dries, I can sand it down or build it up as needed, spray a little more texture over the area, prime and paint, and it should be invisible ... at least that's the plan.

Questions:
1) Does this generally sound like a good plan or is there a better way? I like the sound of this approach because it doesn't involve adding thickness on the front, where I'd have to feather it for a good distance to look right, and I'd have to do a lot more re-texturing.
2) What sort of wood would you use? I was thinking the lightest plywood around.
3) Is "mud" the same as wallboard joint compound? I want to be sure I'm using the right stuff.

Anything else you think I should know?

Thanks,
Greg

you in Seattle too??

The best thing to do is to cut them square. then put a peice of wood to support a new peice of drywall cut to fit the opening. use drywall screw to attach the peice to the wood and the mud,tape and sand. do you have or can borrow a compressor?If you have so many holes then you should get a cheap tex gun. the stuff in the bottle if about 12 bucks and it don't last long

since they are in closet,no need to make it look good unless you are anal about it. Ain''t no one ever going to notice.

Mud is the slang for drywall compound. buy a bucket and it will last a while.

Where are you in seattle?

Kirkland. You?

I've got about half a 3lb mini-bucket of joint compound, so I'm good for a small project like this.

As far as making it look good - actually I *am* anal, but I'll try to hold that part of my personality in check.

What's a tex gun?

home in Bellevue,work in Seattle. Texture gun. Sprays texture when hooked up to a compressor. I've redone many walls with mine. When I patch a hole in a wall,I find it almost impossible to match the old texture. So I just do the entire wall,then it looks perfect.

If you do more than a one wall,the gun will pay for itself.

Ah that makes sense. However my holes aren't very big, and they're in closets, so I'm not planning on retexturing the whole wall, just adding enough to cover up the repair. I'll just use a small aerosol can.

Latest posts

Back