Help with crack in bottom of wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoneroses6300

Reaction score
Hi.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm trying to get this resolved asap.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to do about this wall not being sealed at the bottom in my place (basement area). Since the rain has been hitting hard, it has caused a leak. What would you suggest I do/use to cover it up? The picture is attached.
Much appreciated.
Thanks.

http://www.bettertreeandshrubcare.com/wall_crack.jpg

Welcome to the site;
This looks like it's been a ongoing problem for some time. There won't be any quick fix cover it up trick here. On the outside the perimeter drain isn't carring the water away, and the wall isn't waterproofed properly. Deverting the downspout away from the house and checking the grade of the land so no water is sitting against the house may help. On the inside, the drywall and insulation needs to be removed from the bottom of the wall to allow it to dry and inspect it for mold.

Are you interested in covering it up or a solution to the problem?

That is certainly an usual detail you have provided. Without an explanation it is difficult to provide much help.

Dick

I'm interested in covering it up for now unfortunately. Mainly because it keeps raining and I need something quick. Right now, I just have towels covering up the bottom. I need something in place of that for the time being. Let me know on any suggestions/solutions.
Thank you for your responses so far.

More towels, dig trenches and lean some plywood against the outside of the building to devert rain water a away. Have someone remove the bottom 10" of drywall, mold will get bad fast and make the house unlivabe.

The seriousness of the crack depends on its shape, the location of the crack and the types of material used in the construction of the foundation. When your home develops serious cracks hire a structural engineer to determine a remedy.

Latest posts

Back