What can you tell me about this?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you want to know? Standard AC and water system, looks like to me.

AC I know about for the most part, the water system has me a little confused, I assume the tree for the filter system is so that I can swap it over while I change filters? I have heard that filters on a well system are worthless?

Get the name off the filters and call customer service dept. ask them what they filter and the replacement schedule. Also take a water sample to your county extension agent and get it tested. See if the filters are good for your water source.

I see a high efficiency furnace with a pump to pump the water condensate away.
I see two sets of water filters so that you can swap between them if they need changing. Currently the top set are OFF and the bottom set are being used.
I see a gas hot water tank.
I see another tank that looks like a salt bin for a water softener but I don't see a softener. Maybe it's just a garbage can?
I see a wrench that looks to be used to unscrew the filters sitting on top of the tank.

There is some equipment straight above this in the garage but my camera decided not to save the pictures. Two bladder tanks and another thing that could be the softener?

I had the water tested before I bought it and will find the results and post them, everything came back good.

I like the water filter manifold but question why the elaborate set up? Two on and two off at any given time?

Based on the large size of the pipes on the in and out of the filters and the small size if the filter pipes it could be that it was designed to be operated with all filters in the system. The shutoff would still be needed to change the filters.

Those filters look way too small to me, mines a least 4 times that size.
I can not imagine not having a filter on a well water system.
We have two homes with deep artesian wells and when I change the filters there covered with brown slime that would have been coming out the faucets.
I understand there thinking about the bypass system but changing the filters is about a 5 min. job.
Waters coming out of the faucets slower, you change the filter, there is no it just stops flowing, except one time when we had an earthquake.

If a well needs a sediment filter you're likely going to have pump problems ahead but perhaps the person who put those in just went overkill; I guess you can't have too clear and clean water though the opposite is possible!

Phil

The beauty of having the filters plumbed in that way is you can change the filters without shutting off the water supply or interrupting the flow when doing it. the only reason I can think of for having two filters in series like that is if they were of different filtration sizes. The first one would catch the larger particles the second the smaller.

That being said, in my old house I had a single filter like that our water was fine and when I opened the filter to replace it the first time there was no filter in it. I put one in and within a month the flow slowed and the water smelled. I took it out and it was plugged and nasty. I had our water checked and they said it was fine and I never put a cartridge in again for 25 years with no water issues.

I wonder if all four filters are filtering for the same thing. You might have to check each cartridge to see that.
You may also want to recheck your water with the filters bypassed.
I also think that all filters are meant to be online all the time, which checks against joecaptions comment that his filter is 4 times bigger.

They said the first was a sand filter and the other was another kind.

It is not uncommon to put a sediment filter and then a charcoal or carbon filter for taste.

Get the name off the filters and call customer service dept. ask them what they filter and the replacement schedule. Also take a water sample to your county extension agent and get it tested. See if the filters are good for your water source.

agree

start with a water test, to see what filters you actually need.

I see why it is plumbed that way and do not like it at all.

someone cheeped out on the filter's, and bought 1/2'' instead, your water service is chocked way the hell down

as the filters get dirty the water volume will drop to a trickle, their solution, instead of ordering the correct size filter body, the added 2 more filters.

remove that piping and replace with 2 1'' filter bodies

http://www.servapure.com/20-Big-Blue-Whole-House-Sediment-Removal-Water-Filter-System_p_1954.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAgavBBRCA7ZbggrLSkUcSJACWDexAKJG2Ay7znbHHXRVSfFqjaJh-TSAUaWdCFtzESOz2zRoCN8nw_wcB

barrel 2.jpg

Attachments

• filters.jpg
    filters.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 51
Back