Roofing & Insurance

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indulgn

Reaction score
So, I own a house that was built in 1951. Original asbestos slate/concrete roof. I contacted the local DEQ guy about leave it, replace it because no one will get close to it because of the "asbestos". The DEQ guy said that type of asbestos can be removed without worry,,,,,unless it starts falling apart etc. Doesn't one think the insurance company would rather get rid of this and help me with a new roof. I have a very small leak inside the house and thought of asking the insurance company if they would rather just pay to fix the roof in the dining room or help pay for the reason there is a leak in the dining room in the first place. I know insurance companies are in the business of NOT paying. Anyone have any thoughts or dealt with insurance companies and roofing??
Thanks

insurance company, will have someone come in and clean up your dining room and repair damage caused by a leak. it will be up to you to fix the leak. Even if the tree fell on the roof, they pay for that damage and when that type is not around anymore. they will pay a % of the total.

nothing to do with your post, but, this happened to a friend recentlyHe has been in his house that he bought new about 20 years ago. He just got a notice from his insurance company that if he didn't replace ( a perfectly good and sound roof ) in the next month, they wouldn't renew his insurance. This has to be a new gimmick to avoid replacing roofs if they get storm damage

nothing to do with your post, but, this happened to a friend recentlyHe has been in his house that he bought new about 20 years ago. He just got a notice from his insurance company that if he didn't replace ( a perfectly good and sound roof ) in the next month, they wouldn't renew his insurance. This has to be a new gimmick to avoid replacing roofs if they get storm damage

Needs a new insurance company. I think he can have it inspected by a third party and fight it.

We have a mountain community nearby that is prohibiting every wood shake roof in 2016 due to being hazardous in forest fires, so all of these folks are currently receiving these notices from their insurance companies.

Latest posts

Back