New roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanguebom

Reaction score
Just a random thought I had. I need a new roof, the plywood is sagging between the beams. I currently have a 30 degree pitch and would like to change it to a 60 degree pitch. Two reason for this, first the look and second I think it would add extra attic space that I could convert into a small room. So is this possible when replacing a roof to change the pitch. And by doing this would I gain more room in the attic.

...whew...

All new trusses and decking... $$$

Welcome to the site. Just so you know that when you talk about roof pitch you measure the rise in 12 inches so you have a 6/12 and you want to change to a 16/12, I am just guessing as the only angle I know is a 12/12 equalls 45*
The cheapest way would be a shed dormer but that gives you less pitch, the next would be to just do a room where you remove just enough to do a high angle in the middle section, either hand framed or bonus room trusses that are built for a room inside them.
Like was stated , big bucks, big job.

if your old sheeting sagged ,you may want to check the venting in the attic before you go for a new roof

Nothing wrong with expanding the roof. Great way to add more SF.

Maybe get with a contractor to give you a guesstimate to see if you want to go that far? It will ultimately involve an architect and possibly a structural engineer. The house may have to be abandoned during construction (motel dwelling).

Dormers, as mentioned are a good idea, especially shed dormers.

Lots of info on the net.

Back