Auto Drywall Screw Gun

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rincon

Reaction score
To (hopefully) move my basement remodel along a bit faster I went out and purchased a Senco Model DS200-AC screw gun to hang my drywall with. I am still at work so I haven't gotten to test it out yet. Tempted to run a screw into the wall next to my desk. Just not sure how well that will go over. I did read a few good reviews on it so thought I would try it. For $99 I thought it would be worth the time savings. I won't be hanging a lot of drywall after this, but I said that at my last house when I remodeled the kitchen and bathroom. Anyone have any good or bad thoughts about the gun I purchased, or a gun that you prefer? This is the only one I could find with the auto load in my price range and could actually go out and buy screws for.

The pros don't use them because the screws are going to be significantly more expensive preloaded. Also, they go pretty darn fast with a traditional screw gun. If you are OK with the high cost of the screws then I would say have fun with your new toy.

I just checked 1000 screws cost $18 collated for that gun or $.018 each
25lb box goes for $38, 25lb box is ~5000 screws or $.0076 each

Essentially more than double the cost.

Thanks for the input. To tell you the truth (as you probably figured) I didn't consider the cost of the screws versus other brands. If it works well I don't mind paying extra for the screws since I won't be using it as much as a pro might. So maybe it offsets. Well maybe just a bit. Makes me feel beter anyway. Thanks again.

Those guns are usally not used for the walls. But they are used heavily on subfloors. We use them when we install 1/2 inch plywood on floors for tile or linoleum or whatever we need to build up.
Look around for online prices...they are cheaper.

If your anything like me for every 5 screws your put in one will miss the stud. you would need another drill to back it out. I dont think it has a reverse . but i could be wrong.

Hello Rincon:
That's the way to build up your tool collection. Buy whatever you need on each job and you'll have a shop full after several jobs.
Congratulations on your screw gun, enjoy it.
Glenn

Thanks for all the input. I have hung an entire room with it and like it a lot. I can see where it is best used for decking as it has no problem putting the screws through the dryall and into the studs. It seems to be really accurate as far as depth and not getting jammed. The only con I have found so far about it is that it is not suited for the corners very well. You can't get it close enough because of the housing. You can't run the screws in at an angle with it either. If its not perfectly flush then forget it. Back to the cordless for this, but overall a good investment from my point of view.

Guyod, I must be like you because I even run my pencil line to know where the studs are bust still miss occaisionally. Can't figure that one out.

GlennJanie, I have bought I don't know how many tools for this job. Besides the screw gun one of my more cheaper but time savers that I got was a quart size caulk gun. Much better to get the big tubes.

Back