Radiator Repair Advice Needed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdcondogirl

Reaction score
Hello all! The radiator in my sunroom has not worked since before I purchased my 1920 home 2 years ago. It seems it was abandoned, possibly because the water pipe servicing it froze up at one time?? I have yet to open the area where the pipe leads (up through the unheated garage). I do not understand why there are TWO pipes coming up through the left side. The one pipe that is lying behind the radiator seems very much connected on that side and dead-ends on the other. Wish I could send the pictures I took, but a URL is requested (??)
Firstly, how do I reconnect the pipes in order to test the radiator for leaks? Secondly, exactly how DO I test it? And thirdly, if all goes well, how do I PROPERLY insulate the pipes in the garage to withstand our horrible WI winters!
Thanks so much!

Welcome to the site. In the quick responce below see the button Manage attachments. If you go there and then choose file it will take you to pictures on your computer, choose one or 10 and upload it, there is a button for that.

Welcome to the forum.

Is the rest of your house heated with steam or hot water and all that is in place and running. Is the location of this old unit in a spot where you would like additional heat? You mentioned it was a sun room, is that room built and insulated such that you will want to try and maintain that as a heated space all winter or are you seeing this as something to warm up that room on and off as required?

If the pipes run thru a cold area you can insulate them and the heat in the pipes will keep them from freezing but the system will have to run all the time in the cold months to keep the pipes from freezing.

The button I normally use for uploading a photo is the one that looks like a paper clip. When you get browse hit the top one and that will open a view of files on your computer go to the place you have the photo stored and select it and then hit upload. After the file shows up below add another or close the window and after you type your post the photo will come along for the ride.

If your photos are stored in the cloud someplace on a photo sharing site just supply a link to that site and we can see them that way also.

Latest posts

Back