Condensation between kick plate and sheathing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfhall27

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post here, thanks in advance for any advice. Last fall I replaced an entry door that was showing it's age and the framing of it was rotted out. I also had to replace subfloor, a section of the rim joist and joists. This was far and away the most major project I have ever pulled off on my own! I used self adhesive flashing on the sill and sheathing below the door. I then put the old kick plate back on. Just today I decided to replace the kick plate since it was looking pretty tired and on the flashing I saw moisture. I'm in New England and this week has been the first week of warm days. My gut is telling me this moisture/condensation on the kick plate is just from vapor rising and collecting but with how much damage was done previously due to water I'm a bit paranoid. Is this normal and is the flashing doing it's job or is there something else I should be doing to prevent this?

Thanks again,

Post a picture.
Does that kick plate stick out past the threshold?
What did you use for the plate?

Thanks for the reply, here's a pic. My terminology on this stuff isn't always so good but the but I think I know what you are asking. The door threshold does overhang the sheathing by 3/4" and the kick plate was and old piece of 1/2" pine (not shown). The condensation was on the surface of the flashing that's shown in the attachment.

IMG_0291.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the image being upside down, not sure how that happened.

The peel and stick should have covered the top edge of the tarpapar protecting the sheeting at the bottom. The tarpaper that isn't there.
Does the peel and stick wrap up and under the door threshold. Make a little space between the peel and stick and you new kick so water can run out. Prime the back of the new kick to before you install it.

Yes the peal and stick goes under the threshold and up the rough opening by 18" on the inside and the outer sheathing.

The kick plate required to cover the entire sheathing under the door would be nearly 20". Is it necessary to cover the entire area with the kick plate or should I should continue to wrap the rest of it with flashing?

Thanks for the help

The two inches of OSB below the peel and stick should have been covered. If the flashing is going on below and behind the kick to top of it should behind the peel and stick. The idea is to move any trapped water out and away from the framing and give it a path out. JUst below the top of the concrete is fine.

Back