Stucco crack (EIFS) at base of wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The kids are out of the house and the wife and I are attempting to sell our house. One issue we're concerned about is a horizontal "crack" in the stucco at the base of our front wall (See attached photos) that essentially runs the entire width of the house. The house was built in early 1994 and I can honestly say that I don't remember when we first saw it, but I suspect that it was one day after the homeowner warranty expired. We don't see any seeping coming from the cracks or any moisture. We've never seen any mold or experienced any problems inside the house.

The photos show primarily what is under our covered front landing. Pics #3 and #4 are of the side of the house and some cracking is rather high, but most of if is along the lower portion of the stucco, generally within 12" of the bottom.

Is there a relatively inexpensive way to fix this? My biggest concern is that if I remove some of this stucco, I might find something I really don't want to find. Is this "crack" symptomatic of a specific type of failure in a EIFS?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rick

EIFS-Pic1.jpg

EIFS-Pic2.jpg

EIFS-Pic3.jpg

EIFS-Pic4.jpg

Since this is a very specialized subject, and plenty of lawsuits have been filed over EIFS issues. I would recommend you get an EIFS inspection from a certified Home Inspector that does this specifically.
They have the correct tools, training, and you can use the inspection as a selling point if there are no issues found.
Please dont try to do this yourself, it will cost you more in headaches and further future damage if it is not repaired correctly.
just my 2 cents, but I teach this to Inspectors around the country.
Good luck!!
Hope its just settlement..;)

I agree with Inspector, even if it's just settling cracks, cold joints on EIFS are very tricky to blend and you will probably make it look worse than it is if you are not a tradesman. A moisture test should be the first thing that's done to make sure everything is sound underneath.

Back