Siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samsr

Reaction score
Anyone had any problems with redwood siding coming in contact with copper roofing?

I have never seen any issues, but if someone used galvanized fasteners...there will be an issue.

Acid from the cedar eats the copper.
Could you please give me clearer explanation as to your quote, I ask the question because I am installing redwood not cedar verticle siding above a bay window which I just put a new copper standing seam roof cover on and was told that if the redwood comes in contact with the copper something happens to the copper. Thanks for any information.

Last edited:
What type of problems are you having?
I,m not having a problem yet, I am installing redwood verticle siding on a gable end over a bay window and the redwood will come in contact with the standing seam copper roofing on the bay window, one of my men was told that if redwood comes in contact withthe copper the redwood does something to the copper

Shingles, if installed in direct contact with metal flashing, will wick water through capillary action under the leading shingle edge. The water will tend to remain in contact with the flashing and build up in acidity. This acid-laden water will corrode flashing in a linear fashion leading to "line corrosion" or pinholes in the flashing. The correct detail is to raise the leading shingle edge on a cant thus breaking the bond between shingle and flashing. Extensive details are included in CDA's Copper in Architecture Design Handbook.
I borrowed this from http://www.copper.org/applications/architecture/faqs.html

Back