Gas Furnace problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mekanic

mekanic
Reaction score
My Lennox high efficiency gas furnace model G14Q3-60-C6 has been working great for 18 years. Yesterday I noticed condensation on the outside top surface of the "Flue" Attenuator, (exhaust muffler?) The condensation seems to be dripping from the PVC exhaust pipe joint where it connects to the Attenuator pipe. This has never occured before so I checked the condensate drains that are attached at the "drain leg assembly" and all is clear and the water drips freely when the furnace is running. I am thinking that the PVC glue joint must have a small defect (opening or crack in the glue?) that has just recently opened up, causing a small drip of condensate, since it only occurs while the furnace is running. The intake attenuator and associated PVC piping are fine, there is no condensation forming anywhere on that system. Is it possible that the Attenuator is full of water? Thanks for your help.

I admit, this is not my area but since no one answered yet.. Did you check for blockage at the discharge area? Sometimes bugs or animals will block off areas and the condensate can't get out.

Shot in the dark!!:eek:

Thanks for the info, but I checked the outlet and it seems to be totally clear.
I think I am dealing with a faulty glue joint, as everything else seems to be ok.

I think you're right. I've come across the problem myself but you may find unglueing the rest of the joint to repair it is almost impossible. I had to replace all the PVC to solve the problem. Not that hard though.

Latest posts

Back