Need a Quick lesson in Drywall Selection

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownsteady

Reaction score
I've been window shopping the Apron stores to get prices on drywall for my basement. I see that they have a few different options Ultra-light, High-strength Lite, and TE (Toughrock).

I've seen reviews that say the ultralight stuff is crappy: peels too easily compresses too easily, sags. But the price goes up significantly on the other products. So I'm looking for more info / opinions from you guys. For instance, does the lighter stuff require more fasteners for a ceiling?

Right now, i'm just doing the ceiling, so the lighter stuff may be preferable and I'm not worrying about water resistant boards up there.

The manufacturers instructions and the city of grand rapids both agree that screw spacing at 12" is okay, but sometimes practical experience tells us another thing. just checking.

The fastener scheduling seems more dependent on stud spacing than wall or ceiling application or drywall sheet weight.

If you don't have 4 helpers and are going with 5/8 thick rent a lift. I did 25 sheets of half on ceilings last year with an 85 year old helper and wish I had rented a lift. I was going over old lath and plaster and half inch was enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Yeah, I have used a lift before and def plan on using it again. And I'm using 12 ft sheets wherever I can. The less seams, the better in my book.

Neal: when you say regular 5/8, you mean regular strength, no air bubbles kind of stuff? The light stuff doesn't meet code for fire protection? I talked to the usually reliable local building supply store and he said it's all light stuff now.

update: I checked around with some local guys and type x is not required in a basement except in the furnace room. (check your local codes, this is not a universal answer) I also looked at some typex and it is also marked ultralight. I was thinking the air bubbles in the light firecode boards could be a problem, but apparently not.

Back