Noise proofing a common wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytona

Reaction score
I am looking to noise proof a common wall that I share with my next door neighbor. The wall is made of dry wall with a space in between it which I would like to fill up with insulation.

Questions

1. Is there any insulation that blocks out noise completely?

2. What is the best way to find a professional? Do they carry a certification for noise proofing?

3. How much will this cost me?

4. What can go wrong?

5. How long does it usually take to noise proof a wall? Can I stay in my home during that time?

6. Will I have to rip out my side of the wall?

7. How are outlets protected?

Any answers or advice is welcome.

1. Is there any insulation that blocks out noise completely? No not completely.

2. What is the best way to find a professional? Yellow pages, recommendations/referrals Do they carry a certification for noise proofing? No

3. How much will this cost me? Depends on size of wall, condo associations issues (permits), contractor pricing, wall repair and refinishing and unforseen complications.

4. What can go wrong? Depends on the compentency of the contractor. Common walls between units are regulated by code (i.e.- Fire code).

5. How long does it usually take to noise proof a wall? Depends on contractor. Can I stay in my home during that time? Yes

6. Will I have to rip out my side of the wall? One side of the wall needs to come down.

7. How are outlets protected? Protected from what?

If the wall is open, the electric boxes can be wraped with a sheet putty to sound proof them.

Be sure to ask for acoustical installation between the walls.

Thanks for the info everyone.
Sound proofing might not happen. Bringing down a wall is a big no no according to management.
They suggested that I try acoustic image panels. Anyone have experience with that?

they are minimal , and most condos apartments are not up to exact or soundproofing standards due to costs or cutting corners.

perhaps a blown in (foam)
product might be acceptable?

Back