Wrong Gas Shut-Off Valve?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thapranksta

Home DIY Newbie
Reaction score
I ordered a new gas range for the wife and home. Installation and delivery guy shows up and pulls out the old range and tells me after spending some time in the spot with his tools that he could not install the new range. He tells me that the previous installer rigged things up and the shut off valve has an adapter designed for a gas dryer glued tightly to it in an odd configuration. He then went on to tell me that someone needs to install a new shut off valve before he can continue. He said it is against code now to use the type of line used for gas dryers for new gas range installations. Does that sound right?

It's very disappointing since bad weather is likely moving into the area and this range was supposed to be in place for holiday cooking. It was also supposed to be a nice surprise for when my wife returned home. Anyway...it seems there is always some place that installers cut corners when initially putting everything for the house together. :(

You likely need a permit to change the valve. Where I am I think you can do it your self with a permit. I think the dryer uses smaller fittings, not sure.

It's very disappointing since bad weather is likely moving into the area and this range was supposed to be in place for holiday cooking. It was also supposed to be a nice surprise for when my wife returned home. Anyway...it seems there is always some place that installers cut corners when initially putting everything for the house together.:(

There was a time, in the evolution of both plumbing and electrical trades, when unions were driving the use of particular fittings and equipment, and this sounds like one of them.

There was a period of time when gas fittings for ranges were 5/8, (are no longer allowed), and there were also enough "jack-leg" handy men, who would adapt a brass fitting using a hardening pipe joint compound which afforded them the ability connect appliances.

Any competent tradesmen or handy man can replace what you have with the correct equipment, for just a service and parts charge, without a permit.

Generally, the greater concern, is, is there enough room behind the new appliance, and is the back of the new appliance configured to allow the appliance tp properly fill the space.

Last edited:
I do all my own gas work and never ever considered asking about a permit. If I did, the permit fee would run about $300, and they would apply for an increase in my property taxes due to improvements. Nope, not me.

I guess it's against company policy if the setup isn't to specs. You said it was the line that was NG, what kind of line is it? some kind of flexible?
You could call the gas company and see if they can switch the line for you.

When we sell houses the home inspector asks for a copy of the last gas and electric inspections. With gas they can check the date on the appliance.

I do all my own gas work and never ever considered asking about a permit. If I did, the permit fee would run about $300, and they would apply for an increase in my property taxes due to improvements. Nope, not me.

AAAAAAAAAh the evolution of confiscatory taxation.

I worked in the City of Lynwood when the policy was introduced and there was a threshold based upon the value of the improvement leveraged against the % of the valuation, because property taxes are levied as a % of the properties accessed valuation.

Which breeds the question, why would anyone on gods green earth, vote for a dismalcrate?

I guess it's against company policy if the setup isn't to specs. You said it was the line that was NG, what kind of line is it? some kind of flexible?
You could call the gas company and see if they can switch the line for you.

Generally, everything after the meter is the property owners responsibility.

Yes, but the gas company often offers service....and rather than take a chance on just any guy with a wrench, you can assume he will be trained.

Here, on the truly left coast, liability restricts their service to minor, parts on hand, appliance repair and adjustment, like pilot lights.

Any thing beyond that the appliance or service is red tagged and service is suspended until repairs are accomplished.

The line was yellow. The guy said it was really just smaller than what was needed for proper installation. The new line is larger and stainless steel.

sounds like you had a underrated [btu] appliance connector.

that usually happens when mr homeowner goes to blowes to buy a gas connector, instead of getting the correct hose he gets the cheapest one

rated for a bathroom heater of some such

if your hose was 3/8'' instead of 1/2'' it was to small

Last edited:
Back