How do I rejuvenate old white cedar siding?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick meyer

Reaction score
The old 1870's family place is sided with white cedar which is weathered and quite brittle. We have salvaged more from another site and need to make all of it less brittle so we can repair, replace, or refasten portions in an effort to keep as much of the original siding as possible. We could use ideas for removing the old paint and making the siding more supple so it can be worked with and repainted.

I've never heard of making wood more supple before. If it's dry and brittle because it's old. Reversing the aging process might not be an option. If the existing cedar isn't too thin you could/should power wash it. Not to much pressure to prevent shooting the jet of water through the shingles. Then you need to use a good quality stain. Not paint but stain.

Welcome Rick:
The paint on the old siding will probably be lead based and is very difficult to remove; heating and scraping is the best way to do the job and make sure you get it all. Any lead based paint left on the siding will cause any new coat to bubble and peel.
A coat of boiled linseed oil will make the siding as supple as anything I've ever tried.
Glenn

After you scrap and scrap some more... take a power washer and try to remove anything left. make sure you test it out on a hidden piece first to make sure it doens't take the wood too!

Denver Painters | Denver Roofing

Back