prime the water pump

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimii

Reaction score
We have a very old shallow water water pump that stopped working. It was working before then I turn the whole thing off for a few weeks. When turn it on, I can see the motor turn and running dry. Then the circuit breaks after about 30 seconds. I suspect it need to prime. However, I don't see any priming plug on the pump. The pump is a sears model 390.25320, code number 1c77.
Please help.

pump1.jpg

pump2.jpg

pump3.jpg

What you have there is a Sta-Rite multi stage deep well jet pump. Not shallow well. Where the gauge is screwed into that 1/8" by 1/2" or 3/4" bushing is where you add water. Take out the bushing not the gauge.

Thanks.
Do you mean take out this one that is pointed by the red arrow?
I wonder if it would work it I back fill water from the water faucet?

What you have there is a Sta-Rite multi stage deep well jet pump. Not shallow well. Where the gauge is screwed into that 1/8" by 1/2" or 3/4" bushing is where you add water. Take out the bushing not the gauge.

pump2.jpg

No, remove the bushing under the guage, the guage will come off as part of the bushing.
You will need to soak this fitting with some penetrant. I would recommend PB-Blaster.
You can wonder or you can backfill and try the pump.

Last edited:
I have never seen a pump that would trip the breaker just because it needed to be primed. I think you have bigger issues.

The only reason I can think of that would trip the breaker is running dry and heating the impellers so that they drag and up the amperage. If that's the case though, priming might not help. The impellers may be nuked.

Latest posts

Back