I need some other opinions...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heimdalm

Reaction score
My fiancee and I are going to be remodeling our upstairs this summer, but we're having some problems with the new layout. We're both happy with it, but some other people don't like the placement of the new master closet. So I'm posting 2 floorplans. 1 is the upstairs now, and the 2nd is our proposed floor plan. Any feedback or suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated. :)

Original.jpg

Proposed.jpg

I wouldn't like traipsing through the closet every time I wanted to use the bathroom. Depending on where your windows are, there might be an opportunity to move the closet into the master bedroom or turn it 90 degrees in the bath allowing a direct path from bedroom to bath.

Looks luxurious!

I'm not an expert by any means...but I agree. It seems a little weird to have to go through the closet to get to the bathroom. However, I have seen worst. The house next to mine...if you enter through the garage...you need to go through the bathroom before you are in the rest of the house.

I like the ideas posted above. My grandparents actually have their closets on the left wall (left if you keep the overhead view in the picture) making a small hallway type of feeling when you enter the master bedroom.

Welcome Heimdalm:
I doubt if you meant for one of the bedrooms to be without a door to the hallway; I think it is just a minor oversight. You may want to consider making the hall closet a small 1/2 bath and build closets into the bedrooms; you certainly have a closet shortage.
If you wanted to keep the open feeling in the bedrooms, you might consider the painted wire shelves in a kit form and a dressing screen in each room.
Glenn

I like the second plan the best, but like other have said, I don't like having to walk thru the closet to get to the bathroom. Besides, having doors on both sides of the closed creates a lot of dead space.
What about something like this:
proposed-2.jpg

Hi I was under the impression that you need a built in closet to call a room a bedroom for resale. Not how sure about that but something you may want to check on while in planning stage. Good luck

Have you considered putting the master bath closer to where the original baths are? You would should be able to lower your costs for plumbing unless you have a vent stack running up from the first floor bath or kitchen where the new master bath is going.

I like the second plan the best, but like others have said, walking thru the closet to get to the master bath is kind of odd. I'd rotate the closet 90 degrees and keep it against the outside wall. Make it 6' x 7-1/2', and have a walkway between the master bed and master bath.

Also, I am assuming that the long, empty hallway to the left of the master bath is where the stairway is...

(Also, get rid of that little, stubby wall that I accidentally left in there as you walk in the master bedroom door...)

proposed-2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back