deck capacity?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philphine

don't give him tools!!!
Reaction score
i have a deck around part of my garage that's about 12' off the ground. for a couple of other reasons i don't let people up there (i took the outside stairs down not long after i moved in), but i've started working on it (the other post i just started), and it's something i've always wondered/worried about since i moved here.

every once in a while you see those news reports where a bunch of people are at a party or something crowded up on an upper deck that collapes. i always wonder how you would decide how many people to let up on a deck.

truthfully, there are things about the deck i don't like, but as i said, i'm working on it and the basics of how it's built are sound i guess (2x10 joist 16 on center, and i mean to add a couple more 6x6 for support from the ground). it shouldn't be any weaker than a normal height deck once i'm done, plus i do little to no entertaining. but still...

anyway, is it something anyone else thinks about?

In Villas photo in your other post, the failure is not usually the joists letting go it is the board they are hung off. It should be lag bolted into structure studs or rim joist, something solid on the inside.

Posting a picture would for sure come up with some suggestions.
Any diagonals to stop it from swaying?
Where the post notched to set the rim joist on instead of just nailed to the sides, which would be again code?
Did they use joist hangers?

Back