Dangerous insulation?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjk27

Reaction score
We moved into a new home five years ago and our upstairs storage area (unfinished) was partially insulated. This storage area connects to our youngest child's bedroom and clothing closet. In other words, you go through his room, closet and then the storage area is at the end. All areas are separated by doors. The area inside the door of the storage area did not have insulation when we moved in and my husband requested the builder apply some to properly insulate. Of course it was done last minute with probably not the most qualified person. That area was always a concern because it connected to the children's room and I was worried they might mess with it. One night while dad was babysitting, it happened. The yellow "certainteed" rolled insulation is facing up the children somehow entered the locked storage area and played with the insulation. They did not know what it was and pulled a chunk off and rubbed it on their skin and got the itchies. I was so scared and called poison control and dealt with the immediate concern. The drama was short-lived but I was very shaken, mad at my hubby and concerned about long term effects. I still worry about the exposed insulation because I go in and out of the area sometimes to retrieve items from storage. My hubby thinks I'm too worried but I'm wondering if that area around the door should have stayed un-insulated and maybe we need to consider an alternative. Is it safe to go in and out of and should I be worried about the exposure my children experienced? Thanks for listenting :):)

You could sheet rock the walls,first install vapor barrier then sheet rock.

the insulation you are referring to is fiberglass insulation. the reason why your children started to itch after playing with it is that fiberglass is as it sounds, little shards of glass that is woven together like cloth fibers. the insulation shards go into the skin and cause irritation, best remedy is a hot shower which will allow your skin pores to open and the glass should fall out. Its not dangerous, just very itchy.

I agree with the previous poster that you could put up sheetrock, this would finish off the storage area and would make it air tight.

If you are worried about or are going to be working with/touching the insulation apply baby powder to your skin first and wear long sleeves and gloves.

Justin

Until I apply a barrier, are there any breathing concerns I should be aware of going in and out?

I really appreciate your advice. I do feel better and have also consulted a local contractor to come out, inspect and advise. Thanks for the thoughtful replies!!:)

Not really any breathing concerns unless you are brushing up against it and handling it, even then I don't think i used a mask of any sort last time I installed insulation.

I don't think I'd advise handling or working in a room with exposed fiberglass without a mask. Suffice it to say, it's probably best to avoid breathing in tiny particles of glass.

Back