How long before a new fitted compression joint would leak?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazza85

Reaction score
Firstly this is my first post so hello and merry christmas :)

My girlfriends valve under her sink which connects the cold water feed to her washing machine was leaking so i bought a new one to replace it. As the old one was so knackered (you could spin it round by hand but not even the worlds strongest man could seperate the nut from the joint) i hacked it off with a saw and tried to do it as neat as possible.

I then fitted the new compression joint where i had hacked the old one off and used ptfe tape on the copper pipe/valve bit and turned the water back on. I kept an eye on it for 2 hours whilst i was still at the house and it hadent failed/wept. If it was going to fail/weep how long would it take?

Im only worried because the end of the pipe was sewn off and the pipe was too short for me to clean it up without changing the whole thing.

Cheers guys

Last edited:
This can not be predicted. Just because it doesn't leak now doesn't mean it won't develop a leak over time.

If it doesn't leak in five minutes I would call it good. If you are still unsure leave some newspaper under it for few days. Any drips will be visible even after they have dried up.

Latest posts

Back