Blockwall Foundation Cracking

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacyc72110

Reaction score
Block
wall foundation cracking and sliding in parts, caulking gun type cement repair
seems to of stopped the weekly widening of the morter gaps. House is a 1960 built on an encline. The tallest part of the foundation is 4' it's the part looks like it's comming apart. Central H/A was installed through that part too. I noticed under the house they cut a huge hole through the block wall. Vent duct through the wall is actually maybe a foot and a half, the hole is like 3 x 3 and closer to 4 x 4. Right in line with the center or point on the roof, where the load bearing wall is at I'd guess. But the house looks like it's slidding at a angle. Small earthquakes are going on about 40 miles away, but far as I know I haven't felt the quakes at all. But may still be slidding some with the quake? Any idea on what caused this, and how to stop it? Plus how to repair it so it's good as new. It's 50 years old and starts acting like it's creating serious breaks in the morter joints now, some a half inch I'd guess. Thanks

Stacy, I'd recommend spending a couple hundred $ and call a structural engineer to come take a look at the wall area. It will save you money in the long run. He will evaluate the situation and make a recommendation on a course of repair to give to a contractor if it's that bad or for you to do if you have that level of home repair skills.

...and welcome to House Repair Talk.

Sounds like a soil problem and possibly poor construction in the beginning.

Back