brand new bathroom

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok cool.....so my solutions now are either change the duct size or vent it straight up through roof instead of down through soffit.

Experienced sheet metal guys will tell you that you have a "junk air" problem. A natural, relatively smooth flow of air molecules is being compromised by multiple changes in direction and small (but significant) in-line restrictions. I strongly suspect that changing the run to vent vertically through the roof would be significantly more advantageious than going down through the soffit. I don't ever recall seeing a bath fan run increased from 4" to 6" to improve flow in the (40) years I've been looking at them. And a marginal fan pushing into a larger run and transition will definitely create more junk air.

That sounds good, and the fan is literally a half foot from the roof so it would be traveling about 4 feet less than it is now out the soffit.....and of course up rather than over and down.

I may if I get sick of it but seems like a fairly easy DIY project ......the fan installation was the hard part

When it is out the soffit the moist air will come back in the soffit vent and cause moisture problems and mold in the attic.

Back