1st-time home buyer novice plumbing renovation question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakotajoe

Reaction score
hey, sorry if this is a naive or unanswerable question. i have always rented until now and have never done any house maintenance before, and know little or nothing about renovation, etc. :help:

my wife and i are looking at purchasing a brick ranch house (built 1960) in the intown atlanta area. the house has the original plumbing. i have heard that the galvanized steel plumbing in such houses lasts about 50 or 60 years. this house has a finished basement.

(1) any idea how long i might expect the plumbing to realistically last?

(2) any idea what the price range might be to replace the plumbing?

other info: 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2112 sq ft, laundry room in basement.

thank you for any help you can give me.

Galvanized pipes tend to close up like a bad artery in the heart. There is usually a low flow of water when this happens.
Redoing the entire piping to copper or plastics can only be answered by someone who see's the home. Sorry but if you want realistic $$ ##'s you need to get someone there.
The armchair quarterback can't help from here.
But, I would recommend a home inspection, then you can get better answers and more info about what else may be an issue. Sometimes this is just the beginning if there are worse problems you do not understand. Try American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI for a good reputable, third party certified Inspector.

Good luck, and hope this helps.:welcome:

Sorry but if you want realistic $$ ##'s you need to get someone there.
The armchair quarterback can't help from here.

Plumbing prices vary widely in different market areas and even among different companies in the same area.

I'd hate to shoot you a Connecticut Plumbing Price and see you use it for a benchmark on a good price for Atlanta...:eek:
Click Here To See Why!

The only thing I can tell you is get several prices and go with who you feel is the best choice. Ask family, friends, & co-workers who they use and recommend...

In addition you want a plumber that has considerable repipe experience to do the work. Often they will have worked out techniques which can significantly reduce the amount of repairs that will be needed to your ceilings and walls after the pipes have been replaced.

Sometimes the guy that costs more will cost you less.:)

thanks for the helpful feedback. i really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back