Slate tiles on shower stall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brasilmom

Reaction score
Hi all,

My bathroom is floor to ceiling covered with slate tiles. While beautiful, they are getting soap scum on them that I cannot remove anymore. So, anyone here can help me in finding something that will clean them? After "restoring" them to their natural looks I plan on sealing them. Even if I have to seal every 3 months or so, I rather do that them have them looking so ugly.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

Try a cleaner called CLR. You should be able to get it at the grocery store, certainly at the hardware store. Get the jug of concentrate, not the spray bottle. The stains may not be soap but rather calcium or lime water deposits. The CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust) will dissolve them. Mix it per the instructions, you may need to use it near full strength if they are stubborn stains.

Sounds good and I even have some at home. I was just a it concern with that being too harsh and damaging the stone. I will try a very small area and see what happens. Thanks. Be well

Miriam

I would use a phosphoric acid based toilet bowl cleaner instead.

Phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in many bathroom cleaners because it cuts through soap scum like a hot knife through butter, but doesn't attack chrome.

My own experience is that phosphoric acid at about a 15 percent concentration is a lot less aggressive than CLR in terms of acidity.

The gelled aspect of toilet bowl cleaners would allow them to stick to the vertical surfaces of your shower better so that you only need to squirt the phosphoric acid toilet bowl cleaner on, and then use a scrub brush to spread it all over the walls. Then, use a rubber squeegee to relocated it to the grout lines and give it time to work. Then turn the shower on and rinse it off.

DuPont makes a number of stone and grout sealers under the name "Stone Tech". I would trust that DuPont has the knowledge in chemistry to make a long lasting stone or grout sealer.

DuPont? StoneTech® Professional Protect

Has anyone really tried any of these solutions and what were you results?

Back