Hello from a first time home buyer in Massachusetts

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp.

Reaction score
Hello all, I just purchased my first home yesterday. I have been browsing this site for a few weeks with anticipation of buying a home. After a short search I found a great place in Massachusetts a few miles North of Boston. I have an inspection on Friday and if all goes well, will sign the P & S. I will have many, many questions and look forward to sharing my successes and failures with all of you. Thanks.

Welcome. Once you get settled fire away with questions. (or if you have questions about the inspection)

Make sure the inspector has E&O insurance....actually Mass has to have it.
And get ready for a whirlwind of information. That is ok, take as much as you can, but do not overwhelm yourself. Take a note pad, and do a radon test. It's easy to get scared, take a day or two to think about things after the inspection....we'll be around.
Most of all, have fun on your inspection...it goes down easier.:D

well, I had the inpection today and I was really dissapointed. He was very thorough and I pointed out MANY issues. Alot were cosmetic and things that could be worked on, but there were two major issues that may become a deal breaker if the seller does not act appropriately.

The inspector stated that the HVAC was not up to code and rendered the house uninhabitable due to improper ventilation of the furnace (carbon monoxide, etc). Also the furnace itself needs to be replaced. In addition to that, the oil tank has a fair amount of rust in the bottom and will also need to be replaced.

It was hard to be bombarded with so many potential problems on a place that we do like. I do not want to inheret these problems unless I am properly compensated. Not sure what to do.

Back