Basement window - gap between brick and inner membrane

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfenwick

Reaction score
Hello,

First off - I am very glad to have found this site. I`m a new home owner and don`t have a lot of experience with repairs but I`ll try to explain my dilemma.

I just purchased a brick home built in 1959. I was outside, investigating the basement windows and it looks like they were installed too far back. The result is (at some points) a 1 inch gap between the brick and the inner membrane of the house (batting/flashing?).

I purchased some great stuff expanding foam and my plan was to squeeze it in there to make a seal. Is this advisable?

If this is unclear, please let me know and I can elaborate/upload a pic.

Thanks very much,

Paul

The expanding foam is a great product. Prior to using the foam, you might at least consider backfilling the gap with "oakum" or some other backrod material. This will reduce the overall width of the foam you need to apply. Many caulks indicate the maximum width to be applied is 3/8" or do but I am not sure if the expandable foam has the same recommendations. You will find backrod at your local hardware store. Oakum might be a bit harder to locate.

Back