Removing built ins

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking at a house that has spaces in the walls for built in wood cabinets designed for TVs, VCRs, etc. a bit dated. I will not be using them for this. I am trying to decide if I can reuse it for something else or rip them out entirely. If I rip them out, what would I put in its place? Anyone have any ideas for house these spaces might be used or repurposed?

Thanks in advance!

bedroom-builtin.jpg

Mike, what about taking it out and putting a gun safe, wine rack, statue of the Venus DiMilo, popcorn machine, slot machine, fountain, painting or a place to send the kids to stand when they need time out...;)

How is the built in likely installed? What is the best way to remove it while keeping it intact?

Thanks.

Open the cabinet doors, its either nailed or screwed to the wall. Should come out rather easily in one piece.

Open the cabinet doors, its either nailed or screwed to the wall. Should come out rather easily in one piece.

Agree. We just took out some built-ins in our place.
Take off the doors and take out any removable shelving. Then look for those little caps you put on the heads of screws. My guess is that it is screwed into the wall.

Why not just put in shelves for storage? Or put in a small utility closet.

Back