deck steps splitting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank0

Reaction score
My steps are comprised of three 2''x4'' planks nailed onto the stringer. A few of the 2x4 step pieces need replaced, but the stringer also is splitting where the steps are nailed and attached. I really don't want to have to replace the whole staircase so my question is can I use a filler of some type on the stringer to fill in the cracks so I can nail the steps down?

Stair-Building2ff.jpg

Treated 2x2s screwed to the inside of the stringer along side the spit peices and screw the treads into the 2x2s.

Filler is only cosmetic. It would not work for this structural repair.

2x2's won't provide the support that the stringers do. What I would do is bleed some wood glue into the cracks and then run screw sideways through the stringer to pull the crack closed. Then reapply the treads onto the original surface. You don't need as much strength to hold the treads in place as you might think as long as the stringers are supporting the weight of the treads.

I have bad news for you. If the stairs are exposed to weather, I expect this is the case being it is a deck stair, especially freezing temps, then no amount of filler or glue will help. What is causing the split is water is getting into the wood and either freezing, expanding and splitting the wood, or, getting into the wood through a gap in the wood , maybe where there is a loose nail, and rotting.
You could glue and nail as has been suggested , but if I were to do that, I would sister another piece of wood along side of it using pressure treated lumber, as well as putting several coats of paint on the mating surfaces. But the best repair is to replace it with stringers made from pressure treated wood , cedar, or some sort of weather resistant stuff such as trex

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions/education :)

Finishing fence painting then will start stair project.

Back