Bought a leak locator

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

So every now and then we do repairs on broken water lines so I decided I would buy a locator instead of paying someone everytime I need them. I picked up the Gen Ear leak locator last week, so far I have used it once on Friday and located a broken 2" PVC line that was 5' deep under 4" of asphalt and 12" of concrete base. It located it within a foot. I will let you know more about it the next time I use it.

http://drainbrain.com/genear/index.html

I think it will be a good investment. That and I'm a tool guy I buy instead of rent, it's nice having things in my warehouse when I need them. That and I have spent a couple grand in the last few years on leak locating companies coming out to my jobs. We do a lot with grocery stores and it gets expensive digging up parking lots to find out you are 20 feet off on your guess.

was 5' deep under 4" of asphalt and 12" of concrete base. It located it within a foot.
I guess it listens for a hissing noise with most of the sound energy between

Filter Characteristics: 100 ~ 1000 Hz

but I can't imagine soil being very good at transmitting sound.

Even if your hearing is bad you can probably use this gadget.

I get 1760, 1169, 1731 dollars for this, avg $ = ~1600. How much to dig up an average length, average depth leaking pipe, assuming you know where the pipe is?
Most people might say it should pay for itself within 10 years, the 'investment horizon.'

We can all guess at the answers to the questions this site
http://www.facilitiesnet.com/equipmentrentaltools/article/To-Rent-or-Buy-That-Is-the-Question--8599#
asks.

A soil moisture meter might also work, and wet soil might be pretty good at transmitting sound.

I've never seen a forum that posted a spreadsheet to do this frequently needed calculation and I'd think making up this not-too-difficult worksheet would draw in lurkers.
But, can you post a spreadsheet on this forum?

Last edited:
I paid a little over $1800 after tax for the machine.

To dig a hole 5' x 5' x 5' I am basing this off current equipment rental cost plus delivery.

Walk behind asphalt cutter with diamond blade rental - $125
Mini Excavator Rental plus delivery -$350
Dump trailer or dump truck rental for saturated dirt haul off and asphalt pick up - $300
Fuel for equipment and truck - $300
Dirt disposal - $50
Old Asphalt disposal - $50
Steel plates for trench Delivered- $280
Base or dirt for backfill - $100
Asphalt and roller or plate compactor - $400
Labor of a couple guy - $300?

Total price is about $2300, now I own most all my equipment so the costs are less but if I don't figure them I will never be able to buy new equipment and these rates are my account rates. We have to dig the hole regardless so for us it is better to dig one hole and not two so I am sure the cost of this machine will pay for itself in the next year or two. Also most our repairs are in asphalt or concrete, rarely do we get lucky to work in the landscape area.

I'll see if I can cobble your info into a worksheet along the lines of the link I posted. It'll be a credible second opinion.

New toys are funny, I would be supprized if it didn't pay for itself in one year. Now when you install new systems and turn them on you can check them yourself right away and satisfy yourself that all is well when you walk away. Checking a system after fill is compacted and before concrete or pavement is replaced. How much is that worth?

I worked with a pool guy who would put a pressurized air tank on the line and then put his ear to the deck to listen for the bubbles. It worked pretty well for him, but the pool lines are usually just below the concrete.

My machine has an attachment to add air to the water line. Haven't tried it yet.

Isn't a scope more useful?
$_12.JPG
Here's a 20m one, http://www.ebay.ca/itm/20M-Sewer-Wa...Snake-Inspection-System-W-7-Mon-/230698932114
I have a feeling someone could rig up their own listen device a bit cheaper.
$_12.JPG

Last edited:
our tipping point was: would we pay 1/2 purchase price in rentals ESPECIALLY if it were a piece we'd be using again,,, eg, we just repoint'd a condo chimney & bought an arbortech for the job's mortar removal,,, what would have taken 2 men 3d ea to do, we did in 1 morning w/1 guy,,, even @ $1,100, it saved us lotsa $$$,,, IF we do another 1, its all gravy :banana: mind you, not that we'd lower the cost of the work :beer:

not that we'd lower the cost of the work :beer:
You may want to lower your price because you have a tech advantage over companies that do not have this device, thereby taking more profit from the market.
The

price charged
vs
profit made

is a complex curve and not easy to calculate, even with years of historical data from which to draw conclusions.

Anyway, some say if the breakeven point is less than 10 years away, buy the thing.

I recommend books with titles like: Quantitative Methods in Management, with solved problems. Or get software that even takes into account income tax law, Schedule C.

BTW, a bunch of engineers had an intermittent computer glitch that they worked on for three months and still couldn't solve it.
An HP salesman happened to come by with a very costly glitchcatcher device and solved the problem in one afternoon.
Knowing only what is written here, in this case I would have rented.

Last edited:
Back