Caulk

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sf49168

Reaction score
Hello. This is a basic question , however what is the best caulk to use for a bathroom tube. I tried a few and just doesn't seem to do the job. The last time a worker at Home Depot told me to buy something that's not silicone because silicone isn't good. I said ok than all the caulk dried out and cracked which than lead water to run down the tub and ledge to make the Sheetrock wet

Thanks

Like anything, preparation is essential. Dig out old caulk and use a single edge razor to completely remove old stuff. Dig into the gap in the space between the tub and the tile wall.

Next, spray bleach into the crack and scrub with a tooth brush. This kills mold and funky stuff which, when it grows, discolors the caulk line. Let this treatment dry completely. I have used a blow dryer to speed the process.

Now, apply a thin-to-medium bead of caulk. You can smooth it with a plastic spoon. Some neat-freaks apply a line of tape on the tub first. Then when they remove the tape, they get a crisp, clean line. Do not get carried away with too much caulk -- just make sure you seal the gaps completely.

Let dry overnight before using. Spray with bleach or amold killer regularly to prevent return of the funky stuff. You don't want it getting in your feet.

FUNGUS.jpg

Like anything, preparation is essential. Dig out old caulk and use a single edge razor to completely remove old stuff. Dig into the gap in the space between the tub and the tile wall.

Next, spray bleach into the crack and scrub with a tooth brush. This kills mold and funky stuff which, when it grows, discolors the caulk line. Let this treatment dry completely. I have used a blow dryer to speed the process.

Now, apply a thin-to-medium bead of caulk. You can smooth it with a plastic spoon. Some neat-freaks apply a line of tape on the tub first. Then when they remove the tape, they get a crisp, clean line. Do not get carried away with too much caulk -- just make sure you seal the gaps completely.

Let dry overnight before using. Spray with bleach or amold killer regularly to prevent return of the funky stuff. You don't want it getting in your feet.

Thanks the reply & silicone base is way to go ? Which is what I thought.

Should grout seem cracked between tub & tile ?

Back