Tank to Bowl Toilet problem please help!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abw688

Reaction score
My husband and I noticed that our toilet was leaking from the tank to bowl area when we flushed. We quickly identified that the tank to bowl gasket was in need of replaced. We bought a kit from Home Depot and followed the instructions:
(screw, metal washer, rubber washer, tank, rubber washer, nut, bowl, metal washer, nut)

We have a Briggs 4930 toilet. Everything fit nicely and the tank was did not move once we put it together. We flushed the toilet and no leak.

Well, leave it alone for a few hours and we noticed the screws were wet and there seemed to be some moisture in the crack where the tank sits on the toilet.

We are baffled and so frustrated. Any help would be appreciated! :help:

Side note...I have heard to NOT put a metal washer in the tank...but one was in there before.

Try bolt, metal washer, rubber washer, tank, rubber washer, metal washer, nut, bowl, metal washer, nut. Also replace the spud gasket between the tank and bowl. The kit will not contain all the nuts and washers for my approach but can be purchased separately in the hardware dept. also don't over tighten the nuts.

You need the top metal washer to compress the rubber washer enough to do the job. They might need to be brass washers instead of steel.

additionally, be sure it's not sweat from the cold tank that you are seeing.

under the big washer [spud washer] is a nut [spud nut]

make sure it is tite, or water could leak from tank to bowl. making you think its the balcock

Back