How to know if water damage correctly repaired

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank0

Reaction score
Looking at a house that has about a six foot oval stain on the ceiling below a bathroom. Current owner says there was a leak that was repaired three years ago. I find it a little odd that the repairer did not also properly re-texture and repaint the ceiling to eliminate the stain.

I would have the home inspected before buying, but I want to know how I can best determine that the water damage was repaired correctly and that there is no mold or other ongoing issues.

Thanks!

Ask the home inspector for a thermal image scan of the area.
After your reply I read about that and it said that it can detect moisture but not specifically mold. Do you think if it comes back negative on moisture that's good enough? I guess the only other thing to do would be drill into the ceiling and then use an inspection camera?

I used a thermal camera when I purchased this new house and I'll be honest, it really didn't show anything to help me. I would just assume the water damage was fresh, and demand they discount the price to repair and fix the drywall.

A moisture meter will tell you if the ceiling is still wet.

With that much stain the drywall should have been removed. Ask them to have it replaced and have your inspection timed for when it is open for him to look at. If not beat them up on the price.

I used a thermal camera when I purchased this new house and I'll be honest, it really didn't show anything to help me. I would just assume the water damage was fresh, and demand they discount the price to repair and fix the drywall.
Won't take much to fix the dry wall- just adding a little texture and painting. Was more concerned with mold or some kind of dry rot setting in if they did not fix it right.

Won't take much to fix the dry wall- just adding a little texture and painting. Was more concerned with mold or some kind of dry rot setting in if they did not fix it right.

Fixing it right would have been taking down the drywall, treating the lumber for any mold spores that might be there, allowing it to dry out and replace the drywall and you would have no idea that there ever a problem.

Home inspectors cannot poke holes to look inside so timing his visit would give him an opertunity to see just how bad it was or is.

Fixing it right would have been taking down the drywall, treating the lumber for any mold spores that might be there, allowing it to dry out and replace the drywall and you would have no idea that there ever a problem.

Home inspectors cannot poke holes to look inside so timing his visit would give him an opertunity to see just how bad it was or is.
Yeah that's what made me suspicious; why would the person who repaired it leave the stain. I think you're right though something is going to have to be done to show that it was done right.

Yeah that's what made me suspicious; why would the person who repaired it leave the stain. I think you're right though something is going to have to be done to show that it was done right.

Two years ago I was called to friends rental for a leak in the upstairs bathroom
Dripping thru the kichen eating area ceiling. It turned out to be tile leak that had been leaking for years, When I removed the tile the wood came with it and there was water everwhare and mold, but the water had just worked it's way to the ceiling I was able to dry the drywall and there are about four quater size stains on the ceiling that mostly dissapeared with a little bleach spayed on them.
But the shower was toast.. So what was going on to get a stain as big as you are taking about.

Two years ago I was called to friends rental for a leak in the upstairs bathroom
Dripping thru the kichen eating area ceiling. It turned out to be tile leak that had been leaking for years, When I removed the tile the wood came with it and there was water everwhare and mold, but the water had just worked it's way to the ceiling I was able to dry the drywall and there are about four quater size stains on the ceiling that mostly dissapeared with a little bleach spayed on them.
But the shower was toast.. So what was going on to get a stain as big as you are taking about.
Wow that is a good question and even more reason to open up the ceiling for a look. Going to have to find a way to get this done without pissing off the owners, as we want this house and we're close on price, but also don't want to find out there was a hidden disaster once I own it.

Anybody else that have looked and liked this house has already walked away because of this. If they refuse to fix this, it's beacuse they are afraid of what might be found.

Never, never fall in love with a house before you buy it. Put on the business hat. If nothing else can be done make your offer to include you having it fixed and sale subject to what the inspector finds. Sometimes throwing away $500 can save you a bundle.

Back