Oven anatomy

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porchtalk

Reaction score
I have an Amana oven, approximately 12 years old. While baking lasagna the other day, I discovered that a piece of the oven fell into it. It is round in shape, and is honey-combed in design (like a honey-combed disk). Two questions: (1) what is it (2) can I continue to use the oven without it.

Dave

Hello Dave:
That sounds like a piece of a gas burner. If that is the case, I would install a new burner first and it should be OK.
Glenn

Its probably the vent cover (about 2 inches round like a poker chip) if so yes you can use the oven without it.

Applianceman:

I've always wondered about the purpose of the vent on an oven. I understand it's meant to promote more uniform temperature distribution in the oven, but I can't help but think that it also allows heat to escape from the oven. Wouldn't it make more sense and be more energy efficient to just have a fan or something circulating the air inside the oven?

I’ve never given it much though but I think it’s more to release presser (honestly not sure). Also convection ovens do have fans to circulate the air.

Back