Beginner in Woodworking

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ambitiousbeginner

Reaction score
Hi from Virginia. I am a beginner at woodworking. My spouse gave me a 10" Compound Miter Saw with Laser for Xmas and I am so excited. He asked me in October what I wanted and I told him a miter saw but I had no idea he was listening :). We have only been in our home for a year (new) and there are a lot of things I would love to learn about crown moulding and other home improvement ideas.

My biggest project I would like to tackle is to build Built-in Bookcases for my home office which currently has an alcove. I did not select to have the builder install the bookcases because of the style.

I am hoping this site will be able to suggest some good books and great suggestions.

I know I will have to get a table saw, routers and many other tools to begin the bookcase project. I have drawn a design of the look I want which is attached. (I hope I did the attachment correctly)

Looking forward to all the good info I'm sure this site has to offer.

Welcome to the Fourm Ambitious:
It sounds like you are taking on a nice sized project there. Amazon.com has several woodworking books available, as do several other places. My suggestion would be to be sure to use adjustable shelving for more versitility.
Glenn

Thanks Glenn for the information. I will take a look at Amazon.com. Also, how do I attached the project so it can be viewed?

Click on the "Go Advanced" button below. You will find the other buttons you need there.
Glenn

Building bookcases is one of my favorite woodworking projects and I know you will enjoy this alot. Can't wait to see your sketch.

Back