Our kitchen reno--complete!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd rather not discuss finances in detail, but the complete start to finish was significantly less than $10K.

Beautiful job! You achieved a fresh, clean, updated look. Good going!

Hi guys. Thanks for the comments! I don't get around the forum as much as I'd like to these days.
Can't believe it's been 9 months already since I finished up the kitchen. We still really like it, and everything is holding up great! :)

Awesome work dude, by looking at pics i can assume it had been a really hard work, you've changed your kitchen completely and now it looks fantastic and i must appreciate your work and obviously it looks like your best work, thanks for sharing it with us superjedi.. :)

Very nice interior!!!!!!! It seems that work is carried out very smartly.

You did a great job at a great savings over hiring it out to a contractor.

Your sweat equity is sure worth a whole lot more than you think by acting as your own contractor I promise you.

BTW what is the black material behind the stove, it looks real good.

Thanks! Haven't had a lot of free time to visit the forum lately, so I was surprised to see that
this thread had a new comment after so long. :)

The piece behind the stove is just a thin sheet metal backsplash with a black gloss enamel/epoxy finish.
I picked it up at Lowe's along with everything else in the kitchen, and it came with pre-made screw
holes in the four corners. I just held it in position and marked the screw holes, and screwed it directly
into the wall. The lower edge is hidden behind the stove, and I think it gives a really nice finished
appearance.

Can't believe it's coming up on 2 years since I did this project! Everything is holding up really well, and
we still love our kitchen. I've been considering putting in a small utility island. No power or plumbing,
just for storage. But the room is actually fairly small, so not sure if it would be worth it or not.
We'll see!

Nice job!! I am working on my own kitchen. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks! Haven't had a lot of free time to visit the forum lately, so I was surprised to see that
this thread had a new comment after so long. :)

I've been considering putting in a small utility island. No power or plumbing,
just for storage. But the room is actually fairly small, so not sure if it would be worth it or not.
We'll see!

Hey superjedi,

Our kitchen had a small butcher block in the center but after removing it we found the flow worked much better. Just a thought for you. Our floor space was only like 8 x 8 feet square.

Thanks, mtngirl.

Thomas, our kitchen is fairly small overall, too. That's one of the reasons I'm hesitating about the island.
I considered putting in another run of cabinets on the wall opposite the sink and fridge, but not sure
about that either. We just never seem to have quite enough storage space in the cabinets we have now.

Thanks, mtngirl.

Thomas, our kitchen is fairly small overall, too. That's one of the reasons I'm hesitating about the island.
I considered putting in another run of cabinets on the wall opposite the sink and fridge, but not sure
about that either. We just never seem to have quite enough storage space in the cabinets we have now.

I do understand about storage. When the house was designed and built there was room for a pantry and another space for storage shelves and the Hot Water heater. They hold a lot of stuff.

Do you have room to frame out the wall about a foot opposite the sink? You could build a reach in pantry with a door rather than a wall of cabinets. Some 2x4s, drywall, a prehung door and some closet made shelves and you got one big storage area at a great savings. This could be a lot of great storage.

Last edited:
You know what kind of smell I’m talking about – that rotten eggs smell, the smell of sewer gases. You’ll know it when you smell it and you certainly can’t miss it. But sometimes you can’t tell where it’s coming from or what’s causing the problem. Here are some suggestions for handling this unpleasant – and potentially dangerous – plumbing problem.
If the smell is coming from a kitchen or bathroom sink:
Check for a leaks in the drains traps under the sink. There’s a reason those pipes are ‘S’ shaped and it’s not to give you more storage room. That curve in the drain pipes under your sinks holds water and that water acts as a barrier between your sink and the outside sewage system. The water in that trap actually blocks sewer gases and prevents them from coming up out of your drains. If there’s no water in the trap, that barrier is gone and that could be the source of the smell.
Kitchen sinks present even more problems. Grease and food particles can build up on the inside of your pipes and as they rot they become a breeding ground for odor causing bacteria. The situation can become even worse if you leave you home for an extended period of time. With no water going down that drain that sludge dries out like cement on the inside of your pipes and then you’ve got a real problem to deal with.
The same problem can occur with your garbage disposal. The spinning blades toss grease and wet food particles up onto the sides of the disposal while it’s in operation and they stick there. Over time, they build up and create yet another perfect breeding ground for odor causing bacteria.
Of course you’re best bet is to completely avoid putting any type of grease or food particles down your kitchen drain but that’s not always possible. But you can reduce the risk by regularly cleaning your drain and disposal. Pour about 1/2 cup of baking soda down each side of the drain and follow it up with a cup of distilled white vinegar. The mixture will foam for a few minutes and then flush with very hot water. This will help keep any build up from getting out of control.
For more information, click here,
plumbing

wow! It's the design I picture my kitchen to look like. Black,cream and white, sophisticated indeed!

Back