do I need a water powered sump pump?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sube

Reaction score
Hi,

My house has 3 sump pumps in the basement and a french drain system. I've only been living here a few months and have not had any problems with water in the basement, but I have never lost power so far either (I do not have battery backups yet). Someone told me I shouldn't bother with battery backups and just get water powered sump pumps as added protection and then said he's charge me $3,000 to install all 3. So my question is, if I already have sump pumps and a french drain, do I really need the water powered sump pumps?

Not sure I'd be willing to spend $3000 for 3 units that wholesale for about $100 each, and take an hour each to install. But I'm sure the guy quoting you would disagree with me, as he can live like a king with a labor rate of $900 an hour. Battery backups would be considerably less expensive, and just as functional unless the powerfailure is extremely long (in which case the water powered won't be working either, as your municipal water system requires electrical power to operate).

Last edited:
Back