Please Help! 2nd story patio leaking and sagging.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renren624

Reaction score
Hello:

I have a 40 year old, 3 story home with a huge 2nd story patio. The patio floor is covered in red roofing tar paper and has columns set into the ground level rock/cement 1st level.

The patio is spongy, sagging and leaking a lot. There are several holes in the tar paper as well. Also, the patio has no slope so water collects and puddles.

Please help me with all of the steps I need to take to remove the old paper, replace any (or all) rotten wood, treat the wood, rebuild the patio with a slope and lay a nice tiled floor.

Basically I need to learn how to do a complete rebuild of the floor and I can't find help anywhere.

Thank you!

Here are some images, I hope this gives you an idea of my disaster. The patio wraps around two sides of the 2nd story in an "L" shape.

I will post additional pictures in another reply.

Any help you can give me would be sooo apreciated! I cannot afford to hire a contractor.

2 nd floor patio main run.jpg

2nd floor patio leaks from below.jpg

2nd floor patio railing attachment and bulging.jpg

2 nd floor patio from below.jpg

2nd floor no slope from house.jpg

You need to start tearing it apart to see what is underneath. The stucco is most likely covering a wood structure that has disapeared over time.

sad to say, you need to demmo and start over, start by removing the underneath. Never start on top and remove stuff...it would end up like the cartoons where you saw the branch you are on.:eek:

Let us know what you find, we will walk you through it.;)

this won't be diy work if you haven't figured out the trouble & have to post it here,,, call a remodeler(s) or carpenter,,, looks like the original guys pick'd the wrong mtl for a wearing surface to me.

Thank you, inspector D. This is what I was afraid of. I will try to take your advice and figure it out from there.

I will also keep you posted and beg for your guidance! ;-)

You need to start tearing it apart to see what is underneath. The stucco is most likely covering a wood structure that has disapeared over time.

sad to say, you need to demmo and start over, start by removing the underneath. Never start on top and remove stuff...it would end up like the cartoons where you saw the branch you are on.:eek:

Let us know what you find, we will walk you through it.;)

Thanks for your advice!

this won't be diy work if you haven't figured out the trouble & have to post it here,,, call a remodeler(s) or carpenter,,, looks like the original guys pick'd the wrong mtl for a wearing surface to me.

Back