Flooring Question ??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowta

Reaction score
My kitchen had linolium in it that was coming up, so we ripped it up. Now there is still glue that didn't come up left on the wood. Is there an easy way to get the glue up so I can put down new linolium or something??

Key words "easy way" Nope. Heat gun and scraper is about it to save the floor under it. What is the underlayment. Most people use 1/4" luan

Rip up the sub floor and replace it with the same thickness plywood for a smooth finish.
Or just put down luan as long as the height of the new floor is going to be acceptable with the added thickness.
or, heat gun, heavy scraper and a lot of elbow grease.

RE: Kitchen subflloring
What is needed besides the subfloor ? Or is the subfloor and anything you want to put on top of it ? IE: tile, etc . the extent of material ?
Is it necessary to seal between the joints of the subfloor ?
I am a novice but am sure I can do the job if I know EXACTLY the material required.

Don't use luan if your going to use a self stick tile. Luan is made with a mahogany layer that is very oily. Glue doesn't stick well to it. Use 1/4" plywood. just plain old plywood not luan.
You question in what is needed besides a sub floor. A sub floor anything below the surface. If your going to lay tile ceramic, or other stone type you will need a cement sub floor. If you are going to lay linoleum or vinyl you should fill any gaps in the joints. If the seams are really tight you can get away without filling. But fill any imperfections like hammer marks, Screw indentations etc. As they will show through the vinyl in short time.

Back