Furnace regulations

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JubileeNeighbour

Reaction score
Hello,

We are preparing our house for rental. The furnace and water heater are side-by-side at the bottom of the basement stairs. We'd like to create up a small wooden divider (like a room screen) around these two appliances to improve the cosmetic appeal of the passage to the laundry room. The divider would come up about 4' off the ground but would leave the appliances visible at the top. If there were any need for servicing, the divider would just lift up and could be moved aside temporarily.

My question is: are there any regulations stipulating minimum clearance of walls or other miscellaneous furniture items from the furnace and/or water heater? I was thinking of constructing a light wooden frame with a zippable sheet of fabric (denim or canvas) to fill the middle. Would this violate any inspection regulations? The furnace itself is quite new and is cool to the touch when running and so I don't anticipate any fire hazard issues, but this is also one of my concerns re: the building inspection.

(Forgive me if this is the wrong forum for building inspection queries. None of the other forums seemed more appropriate).

Those would be in the manufacturers install directions under minimum clearance specifications.

I don't think you will find the info, they all want a 24" door and 30" of working space, so maybe call the people who made it. The question is how close can the door be? It should make any difference for a door or a removable panel.

Latest posts

Back