Porch Roof -> Splice Rafter tail?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscott821

Reaction score
Is it OK to sister/splice an extention/tail to a porch roof rafter to get back to a structural beam?
porch-ceiling.jpg

Brother in law says as is won't pass inspection - sisters added to full length of existing rafters that have outside tails damaged from leaking gutter - since not anchored/attached to significant point - merely soffit boxing as seen.

My thought was to cut soffit out of way and join in an extention that will take me to the main wall beam above door, leaving 2-3' of overlap with existing rafters to bolt in...

Porch roof, not attic, floor etc.,...? Not up to code?

Last edited:
Well, this would depend a lot on the state, county & city you live in; considering there isn't any unified building code across this nation. Please post your county & city and I'll see if I can locate the proper codes for you to review.

I am in Columbia County, NY.

The original rafters and the sisters are 2x8"s...

Thank you.

are these joists or rafters? looks like floor joists to me from what i can see. are the existing joists (or rafters) experiencing any support problems now? are these new joists going to support anything? if it it just for a soffit out past the outside wall you are probably ok scabbing them on to tote the weight of the overhang. if for some reason they are helping the old ones bear weight from a problem, that is different. what is your new lumber doing? budddy

Back