Annoying pipe hum

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

embillma

Reaction score
Low hum now heard when bath lavatory faucets run. Starts after about 1 sec after water flow and dies about 1/2 second after faucet closed. Been in existence about 2 weeks continuously and applies to both Master and 2d bath lavs.
All suggestions accepted. Thanks

Welcome Embillma:
The most common reason for noise in the water lines is trash or a loose washer (o-ring). Turn the water off at the wall supply valve, take the handles off, remove the nut and pull the cartridge out. You will probably find the problem under the cartridge. Put your cupped hand over the opening and turn the water back on at the wall supply valve (called a stop). This should run any loose trash out of the line and solve the problem. If it doesn't, take the cartridge out and head for the big box store for a matching one (try to learn the brand name first).
Occasionally the hum is from the stop which has a washer in it also. The one in the hot water side will always wear out first but change them both anyway; we don't want to have to come back in a month or so.
To change a stop washer you must turn the water off at the main valve or water meter. Take the packing nut off, unscrew the cartridge, most of them have a common faucet washer stretched over a plastic stub. Simply slip the old one off and a new one on. Screw the packing nut back on, turn the valve off and turn the water main back on. If there is no puddle when you get back to the bathroom, pat yourself on the back, take $100 out of one pocket, put it in another and be glad you saved it. If the packing nut leaks around the stem, tighten the packing nut half a turn or so (if it gets too tight it will not let you turn the valve on or off).
Merry Christmas
Glenn

Missed the detailed explanation for a fix due to being indisposed. But am ready to proceed - IF!
Note over last month + that hum exists when toilets refill and when showers are in use; sound is somewhat louder recently, altho still 'low'. Have run water at lav and turned off both toilets with no change noted in hum. Do not note sound when kitchen faucet or garage set tub run.
Query if the fix is the same as we have Moen single valve pull-on faucets in both lavs?

Appreciate the assist.

Yes, the same. It is either a ball of glue or solder in the line somewhere.
Glenn

Thanks again. Old duffer, so slow to get involved without understanding in great detail. Not much of a handyman so need to be led by the hand!!

Careful listening gives the following which confuses me - again:
- House inlet at SE corner outside garage; set tub (no hum) at diagonal NE corner of garage.
- Hum noted when DW filling; it's located W of garage in kitchen.
- Hums noted when using 2d bath lavatory located to north of garage at center of home, and when using Mstr bath lavatory which is at extreme northeast end of house - +/- 35 feet from 2d bath.

Can I expect that it will be necessary to attack multiple faucets? Can faucet work be expected to overcome the DW situation?

Appreciate your patience.

Hello Embillma:
With the humming in so many places I'm about to believe it is the water meter doing the humming, or possibly the main valve comming into the house.
No, the faucet work would not fix the dishwasher.
Frankly it has me stumped for now. I will consider it a while and see if I can come up with something else.
Glenn

Cease and desist for the time.
Apparently divine intervention is out and about as the hum completely disappeared about 3 - 4 days ago.
I did nothing to try a fix and no other changes were made, nor was anything new introduced to the equation.
But I am not going to complain (unless it happens again! LOL)
Thanks for offering the assist.:D

Must not be living right! Hum/moan restarted a couple days ago.

Careful 'listening' has revealed noise when lav faucets are on and ending after turned off; sound somewhat louder than first episode and after water shut off the sound increases in volume, lasts about 1 - 2 secs. and ends with an increased 'pitch'. Gives me a 'huuummmmmuummp' and quits.

Have been able to hear this sound for kitchen faucet, 2d bath lav, mstr lav, and for sure with the 2d bath toilet. The toilet the refill completes, water flow stops and the ending sounds are identical to when a lav faucet is closed. Have not been able to identify any sounds related to the DW but cannot be certain as DW sounds while filling/running may mask the hum/moan.

Hate to beat the dead horse but are we back to needing to change faucet washers?

Guess it's obvious I'm hesitant to play 'plumber', but can contact Moen as faucets have lifetime warranty; shower cartridges have been provided free about each 5 years (house 12 years). Might get lucky if that is considered a rational route.

Glenn:
Have been keeping close 'ear' on matter. Hear the new hum/moan with funny end sound from all points that draw water: DW, 2 toilets, kitchen faucet, 2 lavs and garage set tub.
Will any purpose be served by trying to have water company check out the water meter (presuming they're amenable)?
You had mentioned 'main valve'. Do you mean water bib on outside of house where I can shut off the flow?

Yes, the valve that will turn the whole house off.
Glenn

OK, hopefully bothering you for the last time. Applying my deductive powers I conclude that since the shutoff valve is on the side of the pipe coming up out of the ground and is located just before the outside water bib I must have the water shut off at the meter. (May have to get the water company involved????).
Would it be appropriate to replace the entire 'stem' or just the washer which I guess is on the end of the stem like any other valve?
Sorry for the 'baby step' approach, but I don't do windows or mow lawns! LOL

Glenn:
It appears the only way to shut off the incoming water to the outside house main is at the underground water meter. Are you aware whether city suppliers frown on customers turning off the inflow? Don't want to stir up any hornets!!:rolleyes:
Thanks

I would call em...just to be on the good side if they where to be grumpy.
Good luck.

Thanks. Can call and see what sort of reaction I receive.

Since there is a water bib just above the shutoff handle is it smart to change out both in their entirety or just the washers?

If it was me doing the project...I always upgrade as I can. Change it out to a ball valve and the washer issue goes away.:)
Good luck with the water folks, I think it will be just fine.:D

The ball gate suggestion is great. What material is recommended (Brass, SS, Brass/Bronze)?
Meter reader tells me no problem shutting off without contacting them so that concern is eliminated.

Hello Embillma:
I prefer brass valves since they are the most common (next to plastic) and are the longest lasting.
Be sure to ask for a 'ball valve' because a gate valve is an entirely different animal.
Glenn

Well had handyman friend replace the main valve with a ball valve yesterday. Glad I had someone who knew what to do.
Thought we had won the battle as I did not hear any hum from faucet water; however, this AM in the quiet, flushed BA toilet and the finish of the refill was accomplished with 'the hum'. Last May/June new toilet 'guts' installed.
Is it going to be appropriate to start trying to change out faucet washers now?
Confused, but hopeful!!!:confused:

No, if the toilet is where the hum is comming from, that's the place to work on it. Some toilet towers just do that and changing the tower out is the only thing that will eleminate the hum.
Glenn

Back