rookie question about tub/shower repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivefussells

Reaction score
I am fairly new to plumbing repair. I don't know all of the exact terms, so I'll try to describe it well.
My tub shower has one knob. It's your basic- turn left to turn on and the farther you turn it the hotter the water gets. Between the knob and the spigot there is a stem that you push in to turn on the shower.
Here's the problem:
When we turn on the water, the water is spraying from the shower head- AND it's spraying out of the stem/button. The stem/button has been released (it's not pushed in even though water is coming out of the shower head). :confused:

It started this all of a sudden. With the water off, I have made sure the button is released. Water will not come out of the spigot, just the shower head and the stem (where I've never had water come out before).

Can anyone walk me through what to do?
Thanks!

It sounds like you need a new faucet. Replacing the faucet will probably involve opening up the wall based on your description. If you are not comfortable jumping in to something like that, call a pro. Fixing newbie damage as well as the original problem is often way more expensive than fixing the original problem.

You might also post a picture of your setup on here. It always helps to see what the exact situation is. It might be something as simple as a worn out washer, or not.

Good luck

If you really can't have a pro come in then post up some pics this shower system is not your every day system so it will be even harder for us to really walk you through it. Your problem is the stem that turns the shower on has failed therefore it doesn't know to be on shower or tub mode.

Sounds like it might be a "Common Every Day" Delta Mixer to me and the fix is quite easy and inexpensive...

Post a picture to be sure....:rolleyes:

I fixed it! :banana:
It was actually simple. I disassembled the knob and removed the Delta valve stem. The rubber flap had broken off from the stem. I purchased a new stem and installed it myself. Everything is working fine! Thanks for the replies.

fivefussells said:
I fixed it! :banana:
It was actually simple. I disassembled the knob and removed the Delta valve stem. The rubber flap had broken off from the stem. I purchased a new stem and installed it myself. Everything is working fine! Thanks for the replies.

Nice!! Good job :)

It sure sounded like an easy Delta fix to me... :D

Back